Green Mansion History
1856 by a local cotton broker for his bride, the mansion was
built for entertaining in the grand antebellum lifestyle.
That life was short lived by the Green family when war
reached Vicksburg in 1863.
Duff Green is credited with saving his neighborhood
including adjoining Christ Episcopal Church by designating the
home as a hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers.
transformation from grand home to hospital to soldier’s rest
home, then a home again from reconstruction to the depression,
then a boy’s orphanage and finally the Salvation Army
Headquarters for over fifty years.
The Duff Green Mansion was meticulously renovated by
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Sharp in the mid-1980s to a grand home once
A visit to
the Duff Green Mansion reveals bloodstained floors, the site
of the family’s civil war cave and the details of a rich
history of Vicksburg before, during and after the siege.
A few visitors have even seen and experienced the
ghosts of a Confederate soldier and Little Annie Green who
died at age six.